Arriving in Bangkok
All delgates may check for arrival guide here.
From airport to the city
There are two international airports in Bangkok, Suvarnambhumi and Don Mueang. Most national airlines and long haul flights fly to Suvarnabhumi Airport, whereas low-cost airlines usually fly to Don Mueang Airport.
Suvarnabhumi Airport is situated to the east of Bangkok, approximately 30 kilometres (19 miles) from the city centre. Various types of public and private transportation are available for travelling from the airport to city centre:
- Airport Rail Link: available 06.00 AM – midnight from Basement B; fares: 15-45 ThB for city line, 90 ThB (single) & 150 ThB (return) for express lines.
- Public van: No. 551 travels from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Victory Monument for Sky Train (BTS) connection; fare: 40 ThB; available 05.00 AM – 10.00 PM at public transportation center and gates 1 and 8, arrival terminal (1st floor)
- The State Transport Company (Bor Khor Sor) bus: buses to different provincial centres with connection to Bangkok bus terminals (Chatuchak and Ekamai); available 05.40 AM – 09.00 PM from the Bor Khor Sor service counters (Passenger Terminal, Public Transport Center);
- BMTA bus: available from public transportation centre to different Bangkok suburban areas; fares: 24-35 ThB
- Airport shuttle bus: free service connecting Suvarnabhumi and Don Muaeng Airports; available 05:00 AM. – midnight from Gate 3, 2nd floor, Suvarnabhumi Airport Passenger Terminal
- Taxi: available from Gates 4 and 7, 1st floor, Passenger Terminal; fare charged according to the distance traveled plus a fee of 50 ThB.
- Airport Limousine: available from the Airport Limousine Service Counter on the 2nd Floor at Baggage Claims and Arrival Hall exits, channel A, B and C; Rates is according to the distance traveled
- Car rental: service counters available at Gate 8, 2nd floor, passenger terminal
Don Mueang Airport is situated approximately 25 kilometres (16 miles) to the north from Bangkok’s city centre. Delegates can travel to the city centre with public or private transportation:
- A1 Bus: connecting the airport with Sky Train (BTS Mo Chit) and underground train (MRT Chatuchak); available 08.30 AM – 11.30 PM at Gate 7, arrival platform of Terminal 1; fare: 40 ThB
- BMTA bus: regular bus and air-conditioned bus services to different Bangkok downtown areas
- Train service: Don Mueang railway station is located about 500 meters from Don Mueang Airport and provides service to the city, to Hua Lumpong Railway Station where connections can be made to all parts of the country. To reach the railway station located opposite to the airport, passengers can use flyover to walk from the 2nd floor of Terminal 1 to the station.
- Taxi: available from Gate 8, arrival platform of Terminal 1; fare charged according to the distance traveled plus a fee of 50 ThB.
- Airport Limousine: available on the 1st Floor of Terminal 1
- Car rental
Getting to the venue
You can get around Bangkok by taxis and BMTA bus services. Bangkok downtown areas are well-connected with sky trains (BTS) and underground (MRT). Delegates can travel directly to Thammasat University, Tha Prachan Campus, with taxis and buses. The Campus can also be easily accessed via the Chao Phraya River (ferries and the express boat service).
Travelling directly to Thammasat
- Metered taxi: for “Thammasat Tha Prachan” or “Sanam Luang”; fare starts from 35 ThB (approx. US$ 1) for the first kilometre, then subjected to the traveled distance and the traffic condition. Popular cloud taxi booking services are GrabTaxi and Easy Taxi, where different booking service fees are applied.
- Tuk Tuk: for “Thammasat Tha Prachan” or “Sanam Luang”; fare subjected to agreement with the driver.
- Bus: the nearest bus stops to the university are Tha Phrachan (2 mins walk) and Sanam Luang (5 mins walk).
- The Chao Phraya Express Boat: local and orange lines to N9 (Tha Chang) and N13 (Phra Arthit) piers (both approx. 5-7 minutes walk to the University); green line to N9 (Tha Chang); blue line (Chao Phraya Tourist Boat: CTB; 40 ThB) to Maharaj Pier (approx. 3-5 minutes walk to the University).
Public Transportation from Bangkok downtown with connection to Thammasat University
- Underground (MRT): the closest MRT station is Hua Lamphong (Central Railway Station) from which you need to take a short bus (No. 1, 25, 53, 507) or taxi ride to the venue (subject to the traffic).
- Sky Trains (BTS): the nearest BTS station is National Stadium and is a short bus (No. 15, 47, 48, 508) or taxi ride to the venue (subject to the traffic). Alternatively you may get of BTS at Tak Sin Station, take the Chao Phraya Express boat to the University (15-30 mins; see above).